Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Dollhouse Bathroom Fixtures

For the last half of November and the beginning of December, I was working with polymer clay.  I've worked with it before but never on pieces this size.  These are bathroom fixtures for my great niece's dollhouse.  My father built it, and my sister did a LOT of work on it, including patterned-paper "wallpaper" and tiny pictures for wall art.  She asked if I could make some bathroom stuff, so I said yes.  Some things that I've learned from this experience are that:
1) I personally need to use gloves when I work with this stuff, because it has wreaked havoc on my fingernails.
2) Sculpey III is not exactly compatible with Bake Shop (sold at Walmart).  Well, what I mean is that it reacts differently with Mod Podge dishwasher-safe gloss.  When I applied the Mod Podge to the Bake Shop, it left a stickiness as if it never dried properly, even though it was completely dry.  The Sculpey III didn't end up sticky with the Mod Podge coating.  Also, the Bake Shop white is different from the Sculpey III white.  Bake Shop is brighter, while the Sculpey III looks more like naked ceramic.  It wasn't a problem in this case, but it might be, depending on the project.  Of course, I could have avoided this problem by using one type, but Walmart is constantly out of Bake Shop white, and I needed it quickly, so I grabbed the Sculpey III instead.  Live and learn, right?

 
The silver parts are made from polymer clay and coated with silver pigment ink and silver embossing powder.  Yes, I could have just painted them, but the silver paint didn't leave as brilliant a finish as the embossing powder.  You can barely see in this photo that the sink and tub are a brighter white than the toilet.  The toilet is made with the Sculpey III.

No comments:

Post a Comment